Founded in 1914 as a 13-hole course on Yarm Back Lane, Eaglescliffe moved to its present position in 1928 with a long 18-hole, Par 77 course designed by the famous James Braid. Seven of the original holes (which included 5 x Par5s) were taken for growing crops during the war and the land was never restored back to a golf course following the war. Additional land was leased in 1948, and eventually purchased in 1959, enabling the course to be extended back to 18 holes again. With the acquisition of a further plot in 1968, Henry Cotton undertook the design of four new holes which, when integrated, returned the course to the traditional 18-hole, par 72 format in use today.
In 1933, Walter Hagen and Percy Alliss played an Exhibition match, Hagen scoring 74 to Alliss’s 78.