EGC Seniors’ Section – Welcome to New Members
Our Section was formed on 1st January 1991
- This Seniors’ Section is open to members of the club who are 55 years of age
- The object is to provide an opportunity for members of the section to meet and play either social or competitive golf on a regular organized and ad-hoc basis throughout the year
The founding Seniors’ Section Committee Members were:
A.G. PRESSWOOD T.E.LEALMAN R. COLCLOUGH D. BROWN K. AYRE
You will notice the names of these stalwarts on our honours and notice boards around the clubhouse and we are grateful for their original foresight and enthusiasm.
Sixty three senior members of our club immediately joined to form the original Seniors’ Section and some of them are still playing golf with us 28 years later – congratulations to them and long may it continue!
We now have 329 senior members which makes up 61% of the 543 male players so you will not have to search far to find a fellow senior!
We celebrated our Section’s 25th anniversary in 2016 when we invited ten local clubs to send three seniors each to make up a Texas Scramble team of four, to include an Eaglescliffe Senior player followed by a meal and prize presentation. It was a great success and remains a talking point whenever we visit any of those clubs.
All our competitive (and friendly) matches are played off the yellow tees, except our Championship and Salver.
The Club supports our events, competitions and matches played against other Clubs, particularly on Mondays and Wednesdays.
We have a dedicated Seniors’ Section Notice Board displayed in the concourse, near the gent’s locker room door, where you will find forthcoming competitions, friendlies and events with lists for names of participants. All of our competitions and friendlies will be advertised on this board as some of our seniors don’t have computers.
Your Seniors’ Section Committee organize a number of competitions throughout the golfing season as below:
- Seniors’ Section Championship Trophy and Anniversary Salver
- Singles KO for the Lealman Trophy
- Pairs KO for the Wilson Brown Shields
- Presswood Cups Best individual aggregate scores over a minimum of 12 matches followed by semi’s and final in pairs. These are handicap qualifying matches but played off yellow tees
- Away Day Trophies 4BBB Venue chosen annually
- Ken Ayres Plates 4BBB played at Whitby GC
- Black Eagle Putter Trophy Played home and away v Blackwell Grange GC
- Summer and Autumn Texas Scramble
- AGM 4BBB
- Friendlies home and away v Ripon, Cleveland and Kirkbymoorside
- Friendly v Eaglescliffe Ladies Section
Our Seniors’ Christmas Dinner is very popular and this year will be on Friday 11th December
Please check the notice board regularly and you will no doubt very easily bump into fellow seniors you can ask questions of and get to know fellow like minded golfers.
You may be lucky enough to bump into Tony “The Trainer” Cowley who is in his middle 90s, a founder member of the Section and plays every weekday morning, throughout the year. If you need to improve your swing or ask any questions about our club history, Tony’s your man!
Your Section is managed by the following members of your committee:
Terry Laing Treasurer
Ian Gilg Competitions
Jeff Bell Competitions
Dave Lisle Competitions
Nick Clements Secretary
We have formal quarterly minuted meetings and an AGM. We will be delighted to make your acquaintance, answer your questions and help you integrate.
If you have any queries please see Jane in the office and she will provide you with contact details for members of your committee
If you are in the bar, please see Stacey (Bar Manageress) and she will direct you to any relevant seniors who may be in there.
If you visit the Pro Shop, Andy, who knows everyone, will point out any relevant seniors or advise you.
Once you have met a couple of our seniors a chain reaction will take place and you will soon find your feet and arrange regular games.
Thanks for joining Eaglescliffe Golf Club. Enjoy your golf.
Seniors’ Section Committee June 2020